Dr. Anael Alston
Major Accomplishments as a Superintendent (2015-2018)
- Secured five grants in the last two years totaling $271,320, the equivalent of 3.81% of the district’s 2017/2018 tax levy.
- Coordinated an effort to create a comprehensive BOE approved five year district strategic plan with fifty (50) community members, teachers, and administrators.
- Created an international student exchange program – international students pay out-of-district tuition while attend school on a District issued F-1 visa. In addition to enhancing the educational environment, the estimated additional revenues are $275,000 in five years or 3.9% of the district’s 2016/2017 tax levy.
- Creatively rewrote the administrative contracts to move from 5% contribution to health insurance to 15% contribution at a net earning for district leaders and resulting in better managed health care costs for the District.
- Designed and facilitated administrative retreats with the district leadership team and the Board of Education using the licensed material from the John Maxwell Team.
- Collaborated with the elementary principal to create an afterschool program to support economically disadvantaged students with computer-based, differentiated support (e-Spark Learning). This initiative was funded through a grant and was at no cost to the taxpayer.
Major Accomplishments as a Principal 2005-2012 (two different middle schools)
- Responsible for the implementation of 1 to 1 student/teacher iPad initiative. A $360,000 hardware investment (before staff development costs).
- Lead designer and implementer of Common Core Standards across all subject areas in each class: a three-year process.
- Collaboratively increased academic rigor by implementing the “Earth Science for All” initiative.
- Led the instructional team that raised assessment scores to a competitive status compared to more affluent districts (8th grade ELA scores were raised as high as 28% to 76% passing, and 7th-grade math scores rose as high 39% to 90% passing).
- Under my leadership, the school won the prestigious Met-Life NASSP Breakthrough Schools Awards (2011).
- Provided training and leadership in the Understanding by Design and Differentiating Instruction staff development initiatives for all teachers.